More information on CO detectors for the Deaf.

April 14, 2005 10:53 PM | Alan Glasser (Administrator)


James P. Colgate, RA, Esq.
Executive Architect
New York City Department of Buildings

Dear James:
Alan Glasser President of the MBFAA referred me to you for a correct
answer to the following question.
A question has come up in my Coop Apt. building where I reside and am on the
Board Of Directors. Combination Carbon Monoxide/Smoke Detector self contained
units have been installed in all apartments of this building, as per NYC requirement.
My question is that a deaf women resides in this building, and it is unclear to us
or our managing agent, what will we have to install to be in compliance with the
law in this deaf women's apartment?
I'm told that she presently has a smoke detector that flashes a strobe in a few locations
in her Apt.
Do you know of a self contained unit (s) that would be in compliance with the new law,
for this deaf woman's Apt, can you give me the type, brand & model number?
Would it be a single unit or multiple self contained units?
Is it a combination C02/smoke detector unit?
Also, all shareholder were billed for the installation of these detectors.
Who must bear the cost of the unit (s) installation of the proper
carbon monoxide detector whatever type it or they may be, for this women's apartment,
I am a member a member of the MBFAA, in good standing for over 15 Years.
I would appreciate very much any insight into this matter that you may have.
Thank you very much in advance,
%$#% &&*^%#
President, !^$ ^%$##%^&Systems, Inc.

Dear Mr. #$%^^$,
NYC Building Code Reference Standard 17-12, section, requires a CO detector to cause the operation of a visible alarm signal with a minimum rating of 110 candela within 16 feet of the pillow in a sleeping room occupied by a hearing impaired person.  Additional CO alarms may be installed in other parts of the same apartment (i.e. non-bedrooms), and these additional alarms need only be 15 candelas (because they do not need to wake the person up from a sleep). 
There are several models available.  I would recommend doing a or search with the terms "Carbon monoxide" and "strobe".  Most of the models I have seen are hardwired (AC 120V) or plug-in, and are in the range of $200+.
As to who pays, that's HPD's area.  It is my understanding that in a tenant-landlord relationship, the maximum payment by the tenant is $25.  In a co-op, that would be the same unless there is something in the proprietary lease that says otherwise.  But this is not really my area, so if this is an issue about payments, please contact HPD on this matter.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
James Colgate
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
James P. Colgate, RA, Esq.
Executive Architect
New York City Department of Buildings